In 2011, River East Church, together with Guru Nanak Darbar Gurdwara, established a small native prairie flower garden on the Northeast Pioneers Greenway (NPG), a popular walking/cycling/skating path. Plans to expand this area to half an acre, starting in spring 2018, are underway. This peace-building collaboration between Mennonite and Sikh faith and cultural groups continues to send ripples through our community, while adding to the enjoyment and beautification of the Greenway as well as rehabilitating this abandoned and barren landscape back to tall grass prairie.
As we live out being a “Jesus Community for the World,” River East continues its history of providing support for refugees with our time and with our finances. Our most recent journey began in 2017, when we decided to partner with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) and the Canadian government to sponsor a refugee family with complex needs. Our Refugee Resettlement Team (RRT) is in the process of making the arrangements, and we expect the refugee family to arrive in Winnipeg by the end of 2018.
Cross Training is an education opportunity that takes place shortly after Sunday morning worship, and consists of an ever-rotating group of speakers from inside and outside our walls. Be it a Bible study, a report from our extended faith family overseas, or a special guest discussing a specific subject, there is always something to look forward to at Cross Training.
CareLinks coordinates the caregiving ministry of River East by gathering to discern how needs and gifts fit together within and beyond the congregation. CareLinks organizes responses of the church through the ministries of visitation, meal assistance, food pantry, practical assistance, funeral assistance, communion, newcomer hospitality and prayer.
Donwood Manor is a faith-based care home in North Kildonan that provides meaningful, purposed-filled and resident-centred care for senior citizens. River East is one of eight Mennonite Brethren congregations that support Donwood, be it through finances, discernment on the board of directors, and regular planning of Donwood’s Sunday services.
Committees and Commissions
- Leadership Commission (LC) serves as the leadership team of River East, with one eye on the immediate needs of the church and the other to our future.
- Stewardship Commission (SC) serves to promote Christian stewardship in the congregation, tracking finances, contract work, and the maintenance of the property.
- Worship Commission (WC) serves to guide the overall worship culture of River East, discerning the use of art, music, space, and liturgy to draw our attention to God’s presence.
- Catering Committee serves the congregation with regular potlucks and special meals throughout the year.
- Library Committee stewards the ever-growing resources and literature of our library, including children’s books, fiction, non-fiction, video, and audio recordings.
- Nominating Committee serves to connect the diverse gifts of the people with the many ministries of the church.
- Special Events Committee serves to facilitate church retreats and other community events.